Blog Archive

Sunday, June 22, 2008

SOA World Magazine June 2008















SOA World Magazine June 2008

SOA World Magazine is the world's leading magazine dedicated to web services technology.
This month's issue introduces us to SOA design patterns. Here is an excerpt of the editor's note :

When I was a kid, which seems like just yesterday (and no comments from the peanut gallery), I loved playing with LEGO, making imaginary ray guns, space ships, and other things that amuse the average boy. LEGO’s popularity and longevity have to be due in no small part to the ability to assemble a new creation from basic components. Mashups are the IT version of LEGO (or at least the creations we used to make with all the little blocks). They are part of the breakthrough we’ve been waiting for in the user interface space for quite some time. Our interfaces had become boring, and just like the silos of application functionality that we are trying to dismantle using SOA, our interfaces have been isolated areas on our screen. They overlap, they cover one another, but they never intersect, no matter how much we’d like them to.

Recently it became apparent to me how much mashups are a part of our future, and, more important, how we can come to rely on them without even realizing it. I’ve been using some real estate sites and have gotten used to mapping and overlays and the ability to resize the maps. Nothing remarkable, really, but I also received an e-mail from a vendor that included a link to a map for the location. When I went to the site, I was disappointed – the map was simply a static image, rather than one I could adjust so I could see routes and other points of
interest. I even muttered “How Web 1.0” under my breath. Clearly, I’ve become spoiled by the capabilities and possibilities that Web 2.0 and SOA offer. [more...]

0 comments:

Followers

Popular Posts

Labels